Hemera's Contemplative Fellowships for Educators (CFE) program supports educators’ growth through contemplative practice in a retreat setting, allowing individuals the opportunity to cultivate mindfulness, compassion, personal well-being, and professional efficacy, and, in turn, embody and apply these qualities to promote positive school cultures.
The CFE program provides retreat scholarship support to people who currently work full-time in pre-K or K-12 education, or are enrolled in a Master’s degree program in education. The long term vision of these fellowships is that they become the basis for an ever-expanding community of educators whose lives and teaching are informed and supported by contemplative practice.
Educators who have never attended a residential meditation retreat longer than two nights will be provided with 100% funding for the retreat of their choice. Educators who have attended at least one meditation retreat longer than two nights will be offered 50% funding, with need-based support available beyond that.
To be informed as fellowships become available at different retreat centers, subscribe to our mailing list.
There is no single application deadline; instead, prospective fellows should apply directly to the retreat center they are interested in attending for the particular retreat they would like to attend. Certain retreats at each center are eligible for fellowship funding. Please carefully review the fellowship application details and other information on the retreat center's website so that you have a clear idea of what is involved in applying for a fellowship for the retreat you select. We strongly recommend applying early, while there are still fellowships available at the center you're interested in.
To learn more about the CFE program and apply for a fellowship at the following centers and communities, please follow the links below.
Anyone employed full-time in a pre-K-12 school or school district setting, or is a full-time student pursuing a M.Ed., is eligible for a CFE. In 2018, we are also offering fellowships to professionals working as early childcare providers (ages 0-3) i.e., licensed day care professionals, etc.
Examples of Eligible Roles (all of these must be full-time)
- Employees of pre-K-12 school districts not working directly in a school
- Master’s of Education (M.Ed.) students
- Full-time G.E.D. teachers
- Individuals who work daily educating pre-K-12 students outside of schools (i.e. educators working in museums or juvenile detention centers)
- Licensed day care professionals
- Preschool teachers/administrators
- Kindergarten teachers/administrators
- Elementary school teachers/administrators
- Middle school teachers/administrators
- High school teachers/administrators
- Pre-K-12 substitute teachers
- Pre-K-12 guidance counselors, academic advisors, social workers, librarians, nurses, etc.
- Pre-K-12 principals and other administrators
Examples of Ineligible Roles
- College/higher education faculty/employees
- Teachers who teach or train other teachers (i.e. in mindfulness techniques, or M.Ed faculty)
We partner with the following retreat centers for CFE. Please check with individual retreat centers for availability:
- Against the Stream Buddhist Meditation Society, California and New York
- Copper Beech Institute, West Hartford, CT
- Dharma Drum Retreat Center, Pine Bush, NY
- Dharma Ocean, Crestone, CO
- Garrison Institute, Garrison, NY
- Insight Meditation Society, Barre, MA
- Karme Choling Retreat Center, Barnet, VT
- New York Zen Center for Contemplative Care, New York, NY
Visit our online community forum to read, join, and create conversations with other educators interested in contemplative practices.