Hemera's Contemplative Fellowships for Health Care Professionals (CFHP) provide financial support for full-time health care professionals to attend meditation retreats at many different centers throughout the U.S. Meditation retreats provide a supportive training environment in which individuals can cultivate mindfulness, compassion, and personal well-being, qualities which can extend into their professional lives and improve workplace culture.
The long-term vision of the CFHP program is to build a community of fellows, both online and in person, whose professional lives are informed and supported by contemplative practice.
Health care professionals who have never attended a residential meditation retreat longer than two nights will be provided with 100% funding for the retreat of their choice. Health care professionals who have attended at least one meditation retreat longer than two nights will be offered 50% funding, with need-based support available beyond that.
To be informed when fellowships become available at additional retreat centers, subscribe to our mailing list.
There is no single application deadline; instead, prospective fellows should apply directly to the retreat center they are interested in attending for the particular retreat they would like to attend. Certain retreats at each center are eligible for fellowship funding. Please carefully review the fellowship application details and other information on the retreat center's website so that you have a clear idea of what is involved in applying for a fellowship for the retreat you select. We strongly recommend applying early, while there are still fellowships available at the center you're interested in.
To learn more about the CFHP program and apply for a fellowship at the following centers and communities, please follow the links below.
To be eligible for CFHP support, applicants must be employed full-time in a health care field working primarily with patients/clients or overseeing other healthcare professionals, or are enrolled full-time in a medical school or training program.
Examples of Eligible Roles (all of these must be full-time)
- Dietitians and Nutritionists
- Therapists (Physical, Occupational, Massage, Radiation, Speech, Recreational, Music, Art) and their corresponding Assistants
- Social Workers
- EMTs and Paramedics
- Medical School Students
- Physician Assistants
- Registered Nurses and Nurse Practitioners
- Nursing Assistants, Orderlies and Medical Technicians
- Medical Assistants
- Direct Care Staff
- Dental Assistants
- Dental Hygienists
We partner with the following retreat centers for CFHP. Please check with individual retreat centers for availability:
- Against the Stream Buddhist Meditation Society, California and New York
- Copper Beech Institute, West Hartford, CT
- Dharma Drum Retreat Center, Pine Bush, NY
- Dharma Ocean, Crestone, CO
- *Garrison Institute, Garrison, NY
- Insight Meditation Society, Barre, MA
- Karme Choling Retreat Center, Barnet, VT
- *New York Zen Center for Contemplative Care, New York, NY
* The following retreat centers are no longer accepting applications for 2018.
Visit our online community forum to read, join, and create conversations with other health care professionals interested in contemplative practices.